Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Grim Reaper

Hola,
It was the best of weeks, it was the worst of weeks. It was a week of laughing, it was a week of weeping.  It was a week of sunshine, it was a week of shade (and rain, ha ha) It was just one of those weeks. I had a lot of amazing experiences this week.  but first . . .
Thank you Derek and Ashley for your package! Mom and Dad, our house has a faded blue door. two or three from the end of the street.  (I have no idea which way is west or east here).  Dad, have a safe trip, and Kate have fun at the dance!
Experiences:
So we stopped by one of our investigators, Hermano Ayala, (the one who fed us the rabbits) because my companion really needed to use the bathroom.  While we where there I started talking to him about what he was reading in the Book of Mormon.  He said he was reading how they shouldn't worship idols.  He said he had some idols in the basement that he worshiped, but now he doesn't want to, and he is afraid to remove them because of evil spirits.  We said we could take them from him bless the house so there wont be evil spirits.  I thought it was going to be a shrine of the virgin or San Judas or something like that, and I thought it would be in his room . . .  but he took us in his basement and opened up this door where he had a room for worshiping the Santa Muerte or "the holy death" which is a demon grim reaper type thing that always gives me the creeps.  He had a little alter in the room, and it was really scary.  I told my companion to go get it but he wouldn't, so I did.  afterwards we said a prayer and threw away all the statues in the trash.  The awesome thing was, that he was applying what he was learning in the Book of Mormon.  So we left him a passage in the book of Mormon about baptism.  and now he is going to get baptized the 25 of February.  Awesome.
 
Everywhere I go, between every appointment (even if the appointment is next door),  I try to contact at least one person in the street and knock on one door.  My companion thinks that it is not our responsibility to find the people it is the members responsibility, and that contacts in street or doors almost never lead to baptism.  I said "what about those people who are praying to find the truth!  We need to answer their prayers!" but every person that rejects us he gloats, saying it is not going to happen.  Well it happened!! Boo ya!  In fact in happened about a month ago and we didn't even know it.  We contacted a guy in the street his name is Miguel.  He said to pass for his house 8:00 the following night but for some reason I cant remember we were not able to make it.  So we passed for him another night, and he wasn't there.  And another night. and he wasn't there, and usually after I have tried to contact a person 2 or 3 times I stop because we have a ton of people we need to teach in a week.  Well, this week, we were walking by his house and our appointment fell through, so I knocked on his door.  I don't know how I still remembered his name.  He was really excited and invited us in.  He told us that he used to be an alcoholic but not anymore.  That things are really difficult in his life right now and he feels like he needs God.  He said before he left his house one night, he prayed for help.  He stepped out of his house and we contacted him.  He said when we talked to him in the street, he had the same feeling that he had when he gave up drinking.  We explained how it was the spirit.  He is really curious about what God wants him to do in this life, and we talked a little bit about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  As we were leaving he said " Can you teach me a little more about this baptism next week when we meet"  We are going to put a baptismal date this week.
I know this work is true.  Heavenly Father answers our prayers and helps us with our problems.  I just think it so cool, that the Lord allowed us to be the instrument in his hand that day.  My companion said now that we found Miguel we can stop contacting so much. but we cant,  I still need to find someone praying in there house, I have to catch them in the act.  I know that if I have faith we can see miracles.  I have seen so many already,  and I know that there are going to be more.  I love you all and hope you are doing well.
 
Con muchismo Amor,
Elder Joe Fuell

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elder Joe Fuell

Elder Joe Fuell